EASY & AFFORDABLE BUILT-IN BENCH DIY

The mudroom project is complete and for the short amount of time took to finish, the impact is huge! It is amazing what paint and a little elbow grease alone can do to transform a room.  

This is an active area since it is the first room you enter from the garage and is also where the pups spend a lot of their time.  I had put furniture in this room that we had in our last home and it just wasn't working for us.

Here is a reminder of what the mudroom looked like before our updates:

Look at those dust bunnies.

After a fresh coat of paint this already looks like a brand new room! I used high gloss white on the trim and chose Sea Salt by Sherwin Williams for the walls.

On the other side of the wall there was a plantation door that opened into the utility room.  We replaced this door with a more updated bi-fold and it definitely modernized the space.

The walls looked fresh but the floors still looked dingy.  I cleaned the grout and it made all the difference! It was also quite rewarding to see the transformation as I was scrubbing the grout lines.

Grout Cleaning Mixture:

  • Hot Water

  • Vinegar

  • Baking Soda

First, I mixed together hot water and vinegar in a bowl. I did not do any formal measuring, I just added a healthy pour of vinegar into the hot water bowl. Next, I poured baking soda on the grout lines and used a sponge to squeeze the water/vinegar over the baking soda. Last, I used an old toothbrush to scrub the grout and wiped it away with a wet rag.

My happy place

The image on the left is before I scrubbed the grout and the one on the right is after my toothbrush assault.  I'm pretty proud. :)

The next project was the built in bench.  As you can see below, I had a little storage but it was not functional for our family in this space.  I decided to utilize the Shanty 2 Chic plans that I highlighted in my previous post and alter them slightly to make the top of the unit taller.

It was a family affair with this project and everyone pitched in with building and painting this piece.  When I bought the supplies for this project I also bought a new tool called a Kreg jig.  I can't believe I have waited so long to use one of these things! It makes pocket holes and is seriously a game changer with projects like this.

Chris and Thomas working hard on the built in.

We first built out the bench and attached it to the wall.

Next we built the top of the unit and installed it on the bench.

Once the piece was all in place, I spent a lot of time caulking the seams and filling in the pocket holes. I also stained the seat a dark brown prior to attaching the top half of the piece.

We then painted the unit and attached the hooks.  I am so happy with the results! 

Here is a side view of the piece:

One more Accent House project checked off of the list.