Welcome back to week 3 of the One Room Challenge! This week I continued to focus on the bed and nightstands, which are the main focal point of the room. To hide the old platform bed, I purchased a mattelasse bedskirt and it completely changed the look of the bed. I also purchased a white quilt so the green headboard would get all of the attention.
Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 | Week 6 | Week 7
Check out the previous five One Room Challenge transformations:
Dining Room | Master Bedroom | Boys Bedroom | Girls Bedroom | Living Room
Guest Bedroom Nightstands
The original design plans included two round tables with floor length skirts. I decided to pivot the design plans when I found an affordable fern table at a local estate sale that would be perfect in this room. The two nightstands that you see in the image below did not look right together because the one on the left was much too low.
The fern table is a great height for this bed and would look perfect with the design once I painted it white.
Unfortunately, after two coats of primer, two coats of paint and a topcoat, the top was still yellowed and discolored. I will need to repaint the table with an oil-based primer to prevent the stains (probably from nicotine) from bleeding through.
On the other side of the bed is an old sewing machine cabinet that I took from my parents garage. Once I found the fern table, I knew this piece of furniture would work great once it was painted white.
I felt a little guilty painting it, but at least its getting used in a home and isn’t in a landfill!
Honestly, I was getting a little uncomfortable with the the budget for this room, so I am thrilled that I was able to work with items I already owned. The fern table was only $32 and totally worth it.
DIY Project | Upholstered Headboard
This past week I have also been hard at work putting together the headboard. A full tutorial for this project will be coming soon. Like all of my projects, I did my best to find budget-friendly materials to keep it as affordable as possible. I started with a piece of $12 plywood from Home Depot.
I wanted 3″ foam padding for the headboard, but the cheapest option I could find was $125. At Walmart, I found 1.5″ memory foam mattress pads for twin XL beds and they fit my dimensions almost perfectly. Each mattress pad was $25 and I ended up using 3 for a total of $75 in spending.
Then I added two layers of batting for extra cushion.
And attached this green suede fabric that I found in the bargain bin at Joanne Fabrics which cost $27 total.
I attached buttons for a custom look and hung it on the wall using cleats.
The green suede fabric was definitely out of my comfort zone but I am thrilled with the end result. I almost went with a safe tan linen fabric, which would have looked beautiful, but this green is just so fun! The freshly painted white nightstands work really well with the headboard and new bedding too.
Check in next week to see how the office side of this room is coming together! Head on over to the One Room Challenge blog to see all of the awesome design plans of the other participants.
Friday 14th of October 2022
Wow! Looks great!
Monday 17th of October 2022